Get started with oil painting – 2 day course
This 2 day course is for artists new to oil painting and combines our introduction to oil painting day with our course on colour mixing and value. We will also look in more detail at surfaces for painting on and using different mediums. If you are new to oil painting and would like a comprehensive introduction, this 2 day course will provide you with the techniques you will need to progress with confidence. The course will include:
The aim of day one of this course is to provide you with a basic understanding of how to use oil paints with two different techniques you can use in your own time as you develop your painting shills. The introduction to painting day is taught through a practical day of oil painting with demonstration and tuition. Day one of this course will include:
- An introduction to oil painting and the materials that we will be using during the day
- Mixing gesso and an understanding of how mediums are used with oil paints
- Painting a picture using a direct method with a demonstration to illustrate the technique being used
- Painting a picture using a colour beginning with a demonstration to illustrate the technique being used
- A review of the days painting and notes to take away
Having an understanding of how value and colour can be used to bring your pictures to life is key to success in oil painting. The first part of day two of this course will be based on the colour wheel and will look at how colours relate to each other and the use of harmonic and complementary colours. We will also look at colour mixing and how the colour wheel can help with an understanding of this.
The second part of day two will look at tonal value and the importance of understanding how you can use value to better control the outcome of your pictures. The course will be taught using demonstrations but mainly through a practical day of painting and tuition to develop your paintings though an understanding of colour and value. The course will include:
- An introduction to the day and to colour and understanding colour mixing through the colour wheel.
- Painting a picture using the colour wheel to guide colour mixing and consideration of the use of harmonic and complementary colours with a demonstration to illustrate the techniques being used.
- A review of the mornings painting before lunch.
- An introduction to the use of values in your oil painting and how this understanding can influence your pictures.
- Painting a picture using the colour mixing techniques and introducing an understanding of value with a demonstration of the technique being used.
- A review of the day and notes to take away
The course will have no more than 8 pupils to ensure plenty of time for one to one tuition and all materials are included in the price. Tea and coffee are provided as is a simple lunch (e.g. soup and a roll) or you are welcome to bring your own food. If you are travelling to attend the course there is a range of accommodation available in the area and we would be pleased to suggest somewhere you could stay.
The ‘Get started with oil painting’ course costs £130 (£140 from January 2020) and runs on the dates shown below. If you would like to book a place please contact Paul on 01380 860340 or use the ‘contact us’ button below and let us know when you would like to join us.