Colour and Value
Having an understanding of how value and colour can be used to bring your pictures to life is key to success in oil painting. The first part of the course will be based on the colour wheel and will look at how colours relate to each other and the use of harmonic and complementary colours. We will also look at colour mixing and how the colour wheel can help with an understanding of this.
The second part of the course will look at tonal value and the importance of understanding how you can use value to better control the outcome of your pictures. The course will be taught using demonstrations but mainly through a practical day of painting and tuition to develop your paintings though an understanding of colour and value. The course will include:
- An introduction to the day and to colour and understanding colour mixing through the colour wheel.
- Painting a picture using the colour wheel to guide colour mixing and consideration of the use of harmonic and complementary colours with a demonstration to illustrate the techniques being used.
- A review of the mornings painting before lunch.
- An introduction to the use of values in your oil painting and how this understanding can influence your pictures.
- Painting a picture using the colour mixing techniques and introducing an understanding of value with a demonstration of the technique being used.
- A review of the day and notes to take away
The course will have no more than 8 pupils to ensure plenty of time for one to one tuition and all materials are included in the price. Tea and coffee are provided as is a simple lunch (e.g. soup and a roll) or you are welcome to bring your own food. If you are new to oil painting we suggest that you would gain more from this course if you have participated in our ‘Introduction to oil painting’ day which will provide you with some of the techniques used during this course.
The ‘Understanding colour and value’ course costs £85 and runs on the dates shown below. If you would like to book a place please contact Paul on 01380 860340 or use the ‘contact us’ button below and let us know when you would like to join us.